We know the application process is long and hard. Our NYC Admissions Consultants have put together quick checklist of things to keep in mind:
- Choose at least one college resource book. I recommend the College Board online version and one hard copy Princeton Review Top Colleges.
- Prepare for college visits by making a short list of questions to ask your tour guide and/or interviewer at each school.
- Sign up on the Common Application website.
- Check application deadlines and create a calendar.
- Safety? Target? Reach? You can adjust your list at any time, so don’t be afraid to label your schools.
- Contact recommenders and ask them if they are willing to write a letter in support of your candidacy.
- Prepare a detailed resume to help you fill out the Activities/Internship/Volunteer sections of the Common App.
- Arrange to have your high school transcript translated by a certified translator. Send SAT/ACT scores to individual schools.
- Start your Common Application Essay and at least one supplement. Ask two people to read your essay – make sure one of them can give you an objective viewpoint.
Send in applications. Monitor your email and “junk box” for messages from schools. Send thank you notes to your interviewer, recommenders and readers.